Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:25:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connecting mouse/keyboard to server booted without

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Graeme Tait wrote:

> First a meta-question - I understand cross-posting is deprecated, but is
> the following question better asked here or on freebsd-isp? I don't have
> a sense of how many subscribers to the latter list aren't on this list,
> and whether I might miss useful advice they would have.

This is a -questions question.  I'm generally OK with marginal stuff being
posted to questions since it's a first-contact list; somoene will let you
know if you should take it to a specific forum.

> However, on occasion, we will be physically at the colo facility, and
> will want to hook up a keyboard, monitor and maybe mouse, without
> disrupting the server operation (e.g., with a reboot).
>
> The monitor is presumably not a problem to connect/disconnect.
>
> By experiment, connecting/disconnecting the keyboard to the live system
> seems to work OK, although I don't know if this is recommended practice.
>
> However booting without the PS/2 mouse leaves it inoperative, and X will
> not run. Not that that's essential, but it might be convenient. I tried
> running sysinstall after booting without mouse attached and then
> connecting the mouse, but I couldn't get the mouse to work.

How about a serial mouse?  There isn't a way of forcing a reprobe of the
psm driver after boot.

> How do people normally deal with this situation? (I'd like to have the
> mouse work, but I'm more concerned about any issues with the keyboard,
> etc.).

Or how about running X on anoter machine, like a laptop, and remote
connecting?

Doug White