Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 18:16:56 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [video] tuner input format issues

#define quoting(Randall Hopper)
// Jonny, your patches applied without a hitch.  Thanks.

Indeed, after sending them I found some other missing modifications.
They are mostly related to X widgets interface, so I think you should
already have seen them.

// As I was merging them in though, several issues related to format selection
// occurred to me.
//
// First, I'm assuming that selecting anything but NTSC/M, NTSC/J, or PAL/M on
// a non-NTSC tuner isn't really a valid thing to do.  Similarly for selecting
// the three above types on, say, a Temic or Philips PAL tuner.  And is
// anything but SECAM valid on a Philips SECAM tuner?

You are right, but I think you could still insert video through the RCA
conector.  Probably a very rare condition, but possible.

My original project was to select just between PAL/M and NTSC, but the
chip interface was so easy...  :)

// Seems what we need is a driver ioctl to return the supported input formats
// for the installed tuner.  Apps like Fxtv could use this to suppress GUI and
// resource file selection of these invalid input formats.  Some other
// tuner-specific info would be useful in the return struct for this new
// "tuner capabilities" ioctl as well: max capture geometry (640x480 or
// 768x576) and max FPS (30 or 25).  The latter two would let fxtv get rid of
// these hard-coded FIXME values that are input-format specific.
//
// I'd add this ioctl myself if I knew all the input-format capabilities of
// each tuner.  If you know (Jonny, or anyone), fill me in and I'll cook the
// driver patch.

I also don't know (yet).  But with my comments above, maybe this is not
desirable, is it ?

// Second, I disabled the selectability of the "AUTO" input format.  I think

I was thinking about that too.   Mostly because auto does not work for me,
since it thinks my TV is NTSC and not PAL/M.  :)

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br