Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 14:10:24 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *HEADS UP* Correction to previous postings.

> >Please note that in the recent postings regarding the changes to the
> >fashion in which the root filesystem is located and mounted there has
> >been a fundamental factual error on my part.
> >
> >This error *will* cause users with dedicated disks serious problems,
> >unless they adopt the same procedure require by non-dedicated disk
> >users.
> >
> >The error in this case was the assumption that partitions on a dedicated
> >disk were handled as though they were truly equivalent to the
> >compatability slice entries.
>
> A correct assumption.

This doesn't appear to be borne out in any consistent fashion.

> >This is not correct; rather they appear
> >as though they were in the first slice on the disk.
>
> Not with normal slice naming.  The first slice (s1) doesn't exist on
> dangerously dedicated disks.  Rev.1.88 of autoconf.c just breaks
> support for dangerously dedicated disks.  Rev.1.87 was correct in
> this areas, except it spells COMPATIBILITY_SLICE as 0.

That's odd then; libdisk calls them 'xdNs1', and you appear to be able
to mount them like that.

More significantly, the bootstrap passes the invalid slice number 1 in;
using this is guaranteed to result in failure, as there aren't any
devices with a '1' in the slice field.

I believed that I had, actually, tested on a dedicated-disk system,
however it appears otherwise. 8(

> disks are not as easy to create as they used to be.  Mine have
> an all-zero DOS partition table.  The update procedure for
> dangerously-dedicated disks is to back out rev.1.88 of autoconf.c.

*sigh*

I thought that I had established this correctly twice now, based on
code study and our earlier discussions.  Can I please confirm, so that
this isn't screwed for good?

 - If the slice number from the bootstrap is in the range BASE_SLICE to
   MAX_SLICES, it is OK to insert this as-is into the root device minor
   number.

 - If the slice number is < BASE_SLICE, the correct minor for the root
   device will have a 0 in the slice field.

ie. I should be using COMPATABILITY_SLICE not BASE_SLICE in the test in
setroot()?

Thanks.