Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 09:12:19 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha & pc98 testers wanted

Sheldon Hearn writes:

>Hi folks,
>
>The following patch to the 5.0-CURRENT sources allows the installkernel
>target to install multiple kernels.  Given the following in
>/etc/make.conf:
>
>	KERNEL=	AXL AXLOPT GENERIC
>
>the installkernel target would install:
>
>	AXL	->	/kernel
>	AXLOPT	->	/kernel.AXLOPT
>	GENERIC	->	/kernel.GENERIC
>
>I've tested this for the i386 and would prefer to have it tested on the
>Alpha and pc98 before committing it, although I'm convinced that it
>should work on both of those platforms.

[patch deleted]

well, it doesn't work for me on the Alpha. It tries to install all
the kernels named in KERNEL at once. Here's the output from make:

>>> Installing kernel(s)
===> alpha as /kernel
cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/alpha;  MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj
COMPILER_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/libexec:/usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/bin
LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/lib:/usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/lib  OBJFORMAT_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/libexec
PERL5LIB=/usr/obj/usr/src/alpha/usr/libdata/perl/5.00503 MACHINE=alpha KERNEL=alpha  DESTKERNEL=kernel make install
[: GENERIC: unexpected operator
chflags noschg /kernel
mv -f /kernel /kernel.old
install -c -m 555 -o root -g wheel -fschg  alpha GENERIC /kernel
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
usage: install [-CcDpsv] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1 file2
       install [-CcDpsv] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1 ...
             fileN directory
       install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...
*** Error code 64

Stop in /u1/obj/usr/src/sys/alpha.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

I also noticed that there was a GENERIC and alpha in both the kernel
compile directories. Somehow that doesn't seem right.

Maybe my world is too old. I'm running a buildworld right now.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de gj@freebsd.org