Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2019 12:53:40 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Descent 3 with wine and OpenGL / Mesa

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 12:39:55 +0200, CeDeROM wrote:
> Maybe there is an OpenGL version somewhere out there? Maybe you can switch
> rendering engine to OpenGL?

The priginal ("Windows") version from the CDs does support
three modes: "DirectX" (at least 3.0 required, 9.x provided
by wine), Glide, and OpenGL (provided by Mesa). I'm currently
running the OpenGL version because "DirectX" doesn't really
work - most textures are just black / missing. I have also
successfully set the permissions for the direct rendering.
In 3D screensavers from xscreensaver, as well as with the
test program glxgears, the results are fully sufficient. On
the same hardware, I've been playing OpenArena, and the
graphics were smooth and complete (and opaque things were
visible, no accidental see-through or invisibility), as
well as Quake II (also worked without problems).

> I did have a working joystick in Blender + DualShock Playstation4
> controller connected over USB (did not get into BT HID yet).. analog sticks
> and buttons worked well, but not all functions worked (i.e. gyroscope
> readings did not work) but I guess that could be fixed with HID
> descriptors..

On my DOS machine, I have a Logitech Wingman, one of the best
joysticks regarding preceision and layout (right hand thumb
can easily control secondary control as well as forward / back-
ward buttons), and I did actually use this to play Descent
and Descent 2 on that machine. Plus, Descent II has a very
good game music provided as CD-Audio (which also works due
to the internal cabling - no system load generated). Things
were easier on DOS, even without Internet... ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany