Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2012 16:07:34 +0100
From:      nvangogh <nvangoghs@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Precisely what hardware information is required?

Hello,
I am a novice as far as FreeBSD is concerned. However, I am interested
in device driver development methodology and code.

My question relates specifically to a particular wireless chipset for
wifi. There is currently no device driver available under FreeBSD for
the RTL 8191 SE chipset. Realtek have a web page explaining the features
of the chip in general terms. There is source code available for certain
linux distributions. Now I understand that it would be impossible to
build such source code on FreeBSD.

However, according to the documentation, the source code is divided into
two parts i.e :

1. Firmware for the chip. There is a folder that contains 7 small files
(on average 70kb) and they end with .bin.fw - I believe that these are
the files containing assembly code for the chipset. How would one go
about writing such code from scratch, with only general information
about the driver? Would it be necessary to have technical information
such as the number of registers in the chipset and eg how they interact?
Or Is there a generic codebase of 'firmware' that will work with most
wifi chipsets? What does the firmware actually do?

2. Source code. This is written in c. At this stage I have no questions
about it.

Kind Regards