Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:34:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mpd-netgraph port vs Windows-2000 PPTP vpn

Andrew Reilly writes:
> Thanks for answering my question so quickly.  Your patch to
> lcp.c seems to have pushed us a little further along, but now
> we're stalling at the IPCP negotiation phase.
>
> I discovered that my previous build had not included DES, even
> though the relevent bits were on my system.  I tweaked the src/Makefile
> to include "ENCRYPTION_DES= yes" just under the "ENCRYPTION_MPPE=
> yes" line, and it built (with a few prototype warnings).  At least
> now it recognises the "set ecp accept des" option.  Dunno if it's
> being used.

That shouldn't have any effect since ECP is not negotiated.

> The office uses DHCP to assign IP addresses.  Does that interact
> with the PPTP process?  I would imagine that the PPTP server would
> have to grab an IP address on my behalf for the IPCP negotiation,
> but is it possible that MS somehow skips that, and requires a
> separate DHCP session after the link is up?

Possible.. though I don't know the mysteries of Windows.

I don't know why the NT machine is not responding to your request
for an IP address.. maybe it's got some configuration problem with
respect to that?

Also..

1. Try changing "set link yes chap" to "set link accept chap".
2. To enable MPPE encryption you want something like this...

    set bundle enable compression
    set ccp yes mppc
    set ccp yes mpp-e40
    set ccp yes mpp-e128
    set ccp yes mpp-stateless

But the IP problem needs to be figured out first..

Can you connect to this machine using the Win95/98 PPTP dialup adapter?

-Archie