Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:25:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Cannon <tcannon@noops.org>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Qmail update

> I have 4.3-release on a box, and installed Qmail from the ports.
> I have had a problem with the qmail popper hanging and the only
> way to get it working again is to reboot the box.

It would be easier to debug this problem than it would be to try to
upgrade around it.

When does it hang? Nothing in the logs? What has changed since when it
worked to now? When you send the process different signals, what does it
do? Have you attached a debugger to the process to see what it's stuck on?

Have you sent mail to the qmail mailing list asking for help?

You say you need to reboot -- what are you trying to accomplish with a
reboot? You can't figure out how to kill the process, or won't it start
up again normally?

Is anything else moving files that qmail-popper thinks are it's own?

Are you sure you haven't re-enabled the OLD qpopper that came with your
BSD that doesn't understand maildirs?

> At this point I have two alternatives.  Upgrade to a newer version
> of Qmail and hope it 'fixes' this problem, or try something new.

I'd try the above first. If the problem isn't with qmail, an upgrade won't
serve much purpose, and it'll add in extra variables and likely break
somethign else.

> How do I upgrade qmail since I already have it installed?

A 'make reinstall' will reinstall the port. Or get the source code and
compile it. I doubt you'll be able to upgrade, as qmail itself doesn't
get updated too frequently, due to it not having too many bugs.

> If not qmail, then what?

Oh no... here come the holy wars!

Cheers, and good luck,

Thomas

PS: Postfix has security problems when used with sudo. The problem is with
sudo. I figured I'd add that in just in case you decide to switch to it,
as people are about to suggest it. I've seen the postfix v. qmail thread a
few times now.