Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 04:12:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        nik@FreeBSD.org, <core@FreeBSD.org>, <www@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        nectar@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   new CVSROOT files and me

Hello,

I am in a similar situation to that described in the appended text.

I am a restricted committer who would like to keep my ability to make
changes to the doc, ports, src, and www repositories.

I was approved by Satoshi Asami as a ports-only committer in September or
October of 2000.

Since then, I've mostly created new ports on my own.  However, on a few
occasions I've added the work of other contributors.  When accepting the
work of new contributors, it's customary to add their names to the
doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/article.sgml file.  I'm assuming
that I'll need to be listed in access.doc to do this.

On a few occasions I've used the privileges described in the "Commit Bit
Types" section of the Committers' Guide at
<URL:http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/committer.types.html>.
In particular, I've added some listings to the "FreeBSD in the Press"
file, doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/article.sgml at the
invitation of Murray Stokely and Joseph Koshy, after submitting several as
PRs.  Yes, I did break the WWW build once.  If I'm not mistaken, being
listed in access.doc would permit me to continue doing so. ;-)

Also, I've helped the Security Officer on a few occasions by MFCing
security-related changes, after getting review or approval from
security-team@ or security-officer@ (on one occasion I committed thinking
that approval from a member of security-team was sufficient, but should
have gotten it from the Security Officer instead--no one remarked upon my
error though).  Changes needed to be made to old FreeBSD branches and
other people hadn't gotten around to making them. I was admitted into the
Security Officer Team last June, and have primarily worked with ports, but
would like to still be able to help with src/ things once in awhile.  I'd
like to be allowed in access.src in order to keep that privilege.

I apologize if I've missed an announcement to the developers' lists. The
last mail I recieved on those was on the 10th and I don't know where to
find the archives on hub.FreeBSD.org (wish it were in /etc/motd there).
--
Trevor Johnson

Wes Peters wrote in <1044494623.91491.88.camel@zaphod.softweyr.com>:

> On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 07:04, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> > Hi Giorgos,
> > On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 04:46:57AM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > > It is, and I meant to ask about manpages.  Do I need to put myself in
> > > CVSROOT/access too, in order to be able to make changes to src/*.[0-9]
> > > files?  If yes, my commit bit being doc-only, how do we differentiate
> > > between committers in CVSROOT/access who *are* src committers and
> > > committers in CVSROOT/access who are just there for manpage/doc stuff.
> >
> > the same applies (with a vengance) to the translation teams working
> > on the release notes.  There is ONE guy with a "full" commit bit
> > among the people who work on the German translations.  Of course,
> > he is more or less MIA right now due to real life stress.
> >
> > Which leaves me (as the guy who does the translation) with exactly
> > four options:
> >
> > a) just grab src access and get reamed for it
>
> Whoa, no, hold on there.  Nobody's going to ream you for putting
> yourself in the access file for the src archives so you can work
> on man pages.  The idea is that if you work on ONLY ports, or ONLY
> www pages and don't need all those commit messages flowing in, you
> don't have to see them.
>
> > b) apply to core for src access even though I have absolutely no track
> >    record for working on anything except documentation
>
> Let's see, can we find a core team member who says it's OK for you to
> commit work to man pages?
>
> Oh, wait a minute, *I'm* a core team member. Handy, that.
>
> Udo: it's OK for you to have src access and to commit man pages.
>
> > c) find somebody who is willing and able(!) to review my patches
[trimmed--Trevor]