Date:      Fri, 23 May 2003 08:17:59 -0700
From:      Andrew Houghton <aah@acm.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IntelliJ IDEA, JDK 1.4.1-p3, 5.0-p7, "Bad file descriptor"

Sheldon Hearn wrote:

>On (2003/05/15 22:39), Andrew Houghton wrote:
>

>>When I first create a project in the IDE, and the jar files are copied
>>to the ~/.IntelliJIdea  cache directory, I'm getting little dialog boxes
>>that somethine like "Cannot copy <some file name> to
>>/usr/home/aah/.IntelliJIdea/system/jars/<some file name>: Bad file
>>descriptor".  When I look in the .../system/jars directory, everything
>>looks fine.
>>
>>I'm also seeing this when I try compilations on projects.  I see the
>>compilation proceed and I see errors and warnings -- briefly -- showing
>>source paths and line numbers.  Somewhere in the middle of the
>>compilation, most (but not all) of those error references go away and
>>the lines say 'Bad file descriptor'.
>>
>>Does anyone else using IDEA see this?
>>

>Yes.  I just got it trying to create my first project, the first time I
>ran IDEA.  Not a great first impression.
>
>I deviated a little from the installation instructions, which wanted me
>to copy the entire JRE into the IDEA home directory.  Yeah, right!
>
>However, you're saying you get these during compilation?  Have you got
>any symlinks in your source tree?
>
>I don't know what the problem is, just trying to find common ground.
>
>Ciao,
>Sheldon.

Well, I've been using IDEA a lot lately at work, on linux boxes, and I
have to say I love it.  I've had to make fewer changes in the way I
think about projects to get traction with it than with most of the other
IDEs I've seen (JEdit being a notable exception, but I think that's
because JEdit was a thin emacs replacement for me).  Anyway --  the
problems on my FreeBSD box at home are annoying, to say the least.

I get these errors during compilation, too.  Maybe you'll have better
luck with their log file than I did.. check
~/.IntelliJIdea/system/log/idea.log; when I looked through mine, I
couldn't see any exceptions that implied this problem.  I'm seeing these
errors with both jikes and javac compilers.

The next test is to set it up and run it under linux-jdk14; if it works,
at least this can be narrowed down to a native JDK problem (I think).  I
just don't have time this morning, maybe I'll try tomorrow.

Oh, and no -- no symlinks for me, disk space is cheap. :)

- a.