Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 02:26:11 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fetch -p

When using fetch -p to download ports distfiles in passive mode, I
consistently get files with the last few hundred bytes missing, and have to go
and finish the transfer manually. Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Incidentally (and unrelatedly), the most recent download (which eventually
became truncated) fairly stormed down my modem - I averaged 1.63k/s on my
14.4k modem for the transfer of MesaLib-3.0.tar.gz, which gzip -9 was only
able to shrink by .9%. This transfer _did_ spam the absolute heck out of me -
I got lags of about a minute on my telnet session active at the time, but is
it really feasible to get this kind of performance out of a 14.4k modem
(including the protocol overhead?), or is fetch a bit off on its' bandwidth
calculation?

Kris