Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:29:08 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Jason Horn <jhorn@daytona.pi-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Scsi tape problem

Jason Horn wrote:

> I have a Hp Surestore Dat8 on a freebsd 2.2.7 system.  The system
> recognized the tape at bootup...
>
> ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
> (ahc0:5:0): "HP C1533A A708" type 1 removable SCSI 2
> st0(ahc0:5:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x24, variable blocks, write-enabled
>
> Problem is there is no /dev/st0, therefore I can't access the drive.  I've
> tried doing a MAKEDEV st0 and get the following response...
>
> This does not create an st0.  I'm new to this, so any help would be
> appreciated.

Try using 'rst0' as the device... I normally use 'nrst0' which means
'Non-Rewinding raw SCSI tape 0' (zero).

Most the utilities either default to '/dev/nrst0' or can have their default
changed with either the TAPE environment variable, or command line options...

e.g. on my system I can get away with just "mt status" to find the status of
my tapedrive... (for Tar, I use 'tar cvf /dev/nrst0' out of force of habbit...
:)

-Kp