Date:      Mon, 25 Jul 2016 22:04:40 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix and tcpwrappers?

On 25-7-2016 21:53, Karl Denninger wrote:
> On 7/25/2016 14:48, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

>> Given the fact that both tcpwrappers and postfix originate from the same
>> author (Wietse Venenma) I'd be very surprised it you could not do this.
>> http://www.postfix.org/linuxsecurity-200407.html
>>
>> But grepping the binary for libwrap it does seems to be the case.
>> Note that you can also educate sshguard to actually use a script to do
>> whatever you want it to do. I'm using it to add rules to an ipfw table
>> that is used in a deny-rule.
>>
>> Reloading the fw keeps the deny-rules, flushing the table deletes all
>> blocked hosts without reloading the firewall.
>> Both times a bonus.
>>
>> --WjW
>> --WjW
> That's why I was surprised too... .but it is what it is.
>
> I just rebuilt sshguard to use an ipfw table instead of hosts.allow,
> since I use ipfw anyway for firewall/routing/ipsec/etc adding one line
> up near the top of my ruleset to match against the table and send back a
> reset (I'm considering black-holing attempts instead as that will slow
> the clowncar brigade down and thus "helps" others) and resolved the issue.

Right,
That facility is in there because I suggested such, and provided example
code. :)

I just drop the packet, that'll give the average uneducated spammer at
least one setup-time out to wait.

> It's interesting that all of a sudden the clowncar folks figured out
> that if they hit my email server with SSL they could then attempt an
> auth.  I have always had auth turned off for non-SSL connections for
> obvious reasons (passing passwords around plain is bad news, yanno) and
> until recently the clowns hadn't bothered with the overhead of setting
> up SSL connections.
>
> That appears to now have changed, so....

I've seen more complaints about this on the sshguard list, and asking
for matching rules that would block on SASL auth attempts.

Dealing with spammers and hackers is always a leap-frog business. It
works until they find a new angle.

--WjW