Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:00:16 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Philip Kizer <pckizer@nostrum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

>Yes.  First, you configured it in the kernel, though I continually ask
>you not to, and secondly you forgot a resetconfig, since you changed
>the names of the drives.

    I have not configured vinum in the kernel.  One of the first things I
did was to comment out that option, because I also read and understood
that part of the FM.

    I have gone back in and re-enabled the VINUMDEBUG option in the
kernel, because it would appear that this option is defined in the two
vinum-related Makefiles that I can find.  It is my understanding that it
is very important to make sure that this option is set the same
everywhere, although my previous experience with attempting to make sure
that it was turned off everywhere did not meet with much success.

    I'm trying very, very hard here to make sure that I dot all my i's
and cross all my t's, and take your various statements as to what parts
of the FM I have not read in the constructive manner in which I'm sure
they are intended.

    After all, although I have fifteen years experience using Unix, ten
years experience as a Unix system administrator, experience as an admin
for a wide variety of Unix systems, and have successfully used HP LVM,
DECompaq LSM, and Sun Solstice DiskSuite, I do not have much experience
with FreeBSD and certainly not with vinum.  On the other hand, you are
probably one of the core developers of FreeBSD, and obviously the author
of vinum -- you almost certainly have way more experience and talent in
the general area of Unix system administration than I will ever have, and
I haven't even begun to discuss your orders of magnitude greater
experience and talent with volume manager software.

    There are no smilies here, because I'm very serious about the fact
that I'm sure you have a lot more experience in this area.  I'm just
trying to understand how vinum works and how the various aspects of it
relate back to my previous experience with other volume managers.

>You've changed the names of the drives, but they're still stored on
>the drive.  You need to do a resetconfig.

    I've done a resetconfig since changing the drive names.  However, I
can certainly do another one.  I don't think that another
"sync;sync;sync;shutdown -r now" (if that's necessary, now that I've
built and installed -CURRENT) is going to do much more damage to the
schedule of when I'm supposed to get this machine rolled out.

>>     Then a kernel panic.
>
>When?  Immediately after the create command?

    Yup.  I cut-n-pasted as much of the create command as had been
displayed to the ssh session I was in, just before the kernel panic.

>This isn't much use without a dump; we don't know what those addresses
>represent.  If you can't get a dump, we'll have to do some looking
>through the kernel namelist to establish what they were.

    I've got the dump now.

>Fine.  I suppose we can take this one offline.

    It would appear to me like we're missing a lot of communications cues
that are typically lost in an electronic medium (such as e-mail), and
that this fact is greatly hindering our ability to make ourselves
understood to the other person.

    I'm in Belgium, so there is probably a rather significant time
difference between my location and yours, but I will send you my phone
number by private e-mail, and we can try to continue this discussion offline.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News/mail/FTP Admin   Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
   Usenet is not the web.  Just because the web handles some things
 poorly is not a good reason to apply those same solutions to Usenet.