Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 12:40:48 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: logging on as root (was: getting warning on start-up/can't find files)

media@mail1.nai.net wrote:

> How do I log on as root if I'm already logged on??  The only way I seem to
> be able to do that is if I hit the "PrintScrn/SysRq" key.  Is that the
> proper way, or is there a command in UNIX??

is `su' what you want? You must add yourself to the `wheel' group to use
this command to become root. (Just add your username to the end of the
`wheel' line in /etc/group.) Also, you can't log in as root across a
network by default, you *must* log in as a normal user and then use `su'
to become root.

You can also switch terminals using ALT-Fn, where n=1 for ttyv0, upto
however many vtys you have configured.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk