Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 1996 18:04:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Eric L. Hinson" <erich@ip.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard disk replication/mirroring under FreeBSD?

Hi there,

What are the suggested methods of making complete mirrors of hard drives
across a network running FreeBSD?

The goal is to have a complete working mirror of the unix boxes that run
the ISP so that if one drive dies, there is a ready-made replacement
drive built and up to date as of the last mirror (run nightly from cron).

I am considering linking the two main machines to the backup machine with
separate ethernet links to the backup machine to since our ethernet is
pretty saturated.  This would also increase the performance of the backup.

Also other than taking the system to single user mode, can backups be
done in such a way that they backup a working set of files as of a
specific time so that changes made half way through the backup wouldn't
effect the usability of the backup?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Eric