Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 09:22:49 -0500
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Joe Park <joepark@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hard drive crash...please help

At 17:35 12/07/1999 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Dec 1999 20:39:03 PST, Joe Park wrote:
>
>> Thanks for response, Sheldon, but I still couldn't resolve my problem. : (
>> I checked cables, cleared all flags for the wdc1, but my hard drive still
>> crashes when I tried to cp big files, multiple files, etc.
>
>That "hard drive crashes" is confusing.  Rather say "my machine hangs
>up" or "my machine locks up". :-)
>
>Could you send the whole of your dmesg(1) output?  I can't remember
>where I've seen that "IDE controller timing not set" message before. :-(
>
>By the way, what version of FreeBSD are you running on this machine?
>
>Ciao,
>Sheldon.

FWIW, I've had that message before.  I think it's caused when I enable DMA
on my AOpen AP58 motherboard (some SiS chipset, I forget what).  Machine is
3.3-STABLE; I just assumed that there was some problem/lack of support with
the SiS chipset, disabled DMA, and left it at that.  (Performance was not
really important)

Cables and drive were known to be good.

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com