Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2019 15:34:56 -0400
From:      Neel Chauhan <neel@neelc.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Do Broadcom NICs have bad performance on FreeBSD (versus Intel NICs)?

I have a HPE ProLiant ML110 Gen10 as a home server running FreeBSD 12.0
amd64, and run a Tor relay on it. Tor is unable to measure all the
bandwidth I give to it (I have 300/300 Verizon FiOS FTTH), and I am
guessing it is because of how Tor sends packets the NIC gets overloaded.

See: https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/as:AS701

My relay is "NeelTorRelay"

My server is connected to the Internet directly to the ONT (converts
fiber to Ethernet) and all my other devices connect behind the ML110
Gen10 via PF.

The ML110 Gen10 has two Broadcom 5720 ports and uses the bge driver. I
have heard that Broadcom NICs suck when compared to Intel NICs, but I
read that mostly from pfSense and OPNsense forums.

Looking at Wireshark (actually tshark), many 609-byte and 66-byte
packets were sent along with full 1500-byte packets. Tor's message size
is 512 bytes (disclaimer: I am a Tor Core contributor myself).

I am wondering if the performance of Broadcom NICs are worse on FreeBSD
when compared to Intel NICs. Is this true (especially for my use case,
many small packets)?

Is there any way I can tune the Broacdom NIC (bge) or the TCP stack?
Should I just buy an Intel NIC card? Is this issue not a bge issue but a
Verizon issue?

Thank You,

Neel Chauhan

---