Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:12:38 +0100
From:      Marc Perisa <perisa@porsche.de>
To:        irvine@sanbi.ac.za
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Max RAM usage

Hi Irvine,

Irvine Short wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We're thinking of buying a very big Intel box for scientific computing
> here.
>
> Anyone have any opinions as to how FreeBSD would match up to an Intel
> server with over 8GB RAM and 4CPUs? The particular machine we're looking
> at will go up to 24GB RAM.
>
> I was under the impression that any 32 bit application could not in
> itself address more than 4GB of data.  Is this the case?
>
> Cheers,

this question is frequently asked.

FreeBSD on ia32 does not support more than 4 GB of memory. On Alpha it
is actually only 2 GB.

The general problem with ia32 and > 4 GB RAM is, that Intel designed two
different implementations to address up to 36 or 32 GB. Search the
mailinglist archives for more specific information.

I don't know if the support for ia32 for more than 4 GB RAM will come
with 5.x - but I don't think so (at least for the first releases).
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope that helps

Marc