Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:12:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Christopher Palmer <cpalmer@jig.ordway.org>, Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FS sizes for a small web/mail server?

On Wednesday, 31 March 1999 at 19:07:28 -0600, Christopher Palmer wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Nocturne wrote:
>
>> wd0s1a	/	40 MB
>> wd0s1e	/usr	476 MB
>> wd2s1b	swap	202 MB
>
> I think this is good. Having swap on a separate disk is a good idea.
>
> However, one small tweaking: I like having the mail spool and temporary
> thingies on a separate file system, in case of overflows, mail bombs, and
> the like. ~10MB each, since you said this is going to be a low-volume
> server. (On a mail server, of course I'd crank /var up.)

You apparently missed the beginning of this thread.  I strongly
discouraged (and discourage) the use of small additional file systems.
You're bound to find that you fill one up and have space left over in
another, and before you know it you're going to end up with a symlink
jungle.  Sure, your concern is valid, but that's what we have quotas
for.

Greg