Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2012 01:44:13 -0700
From:      Trent Nelson <trent@snakebite.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The MFC process...

On 7/17/12 2:10 AM, "Eitan Adler" <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:

>On 16 July 2012 22:35, Trent Nelson <trent@snakebite.org> wrote:

>>>Correct.

>>>As far as I am aware, they do not.
>>
>> Sounds like a "what-hasn't-been-MFC'd-back-to-stable-yet" script could
>>be
>> quite useful, then ;-)
>
>Of interest to me: if it could be limited to just the commits I made
>and optionally show me the log message and diff it would be very
>helpful.

Agreed.

>On a general note: be careful with any level of automation with this
>script though.

Yeah automated merging certainly shouldn't be attempted in the first cut
of the script.  (Although the svn-dev@ guys have a post-commit hook that
automatically merges changes once three +1's have been registered for the
change in CHANGES -- so it's not impossible.)

> Sometimes there are good reasons that a commit wasn't
>MFCed.

Indeed.  Technically, commits against head that shouldn't ever be merged
back to stable should be marked as such via svn merge --record-only back
on the stable branch.  (It's a shame how unwieldy the record-only command
ended up -- the pre-1.5 svnmerge.py did a much better job: `svnmerge.py
ignore r1012098`, `svnmerge.py avail`.)

[1] should probably be amended to state that.  The advantage of using
--record-only to block merges is that `svn mergeinfo --show-revs eligible`
becomes infinitely more usable.  (And again, that's another terribly
unwieldy command; the svnmerge.py equivalent was literally `svnmerge.py
avail`.)

	Trent.

[1]:=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/subver