Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 20:51:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        acer <generation.net@MNSi.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp help

On Wed, 27 May 1998, acer wrote:

> Hi!
> Still having problems configuring my ppp on freeBSD v2.2.6 machine.
> I have followed the user ppp installation instructions from "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey.
>
> But when I run "ppp" I get the following:
>     Working in interactive mode.
>     Using interface: tun0
>     ppp ON freebie> "dial ISP"        (I type this)
OK!
>     Dial attempt 1 of 1
>     dial OK!
>     login OK!
OK!
>     ppp ON freebie> Packet mode
>     ppp ON freebie>
>     ppp ON freebie>

mmmm, there, the ppp should be in caps (i. e. 'PPP')

> Then it just stays in this way for ever.  NOTHING HAPPENS.

You should put ppp in background using CTRL-Z and bg to make in run in
background, and try to use it via lynx or ftp or whatever. If it takes a
year and there nothing happens, then you got a problem...

> What I have also noticed, is that when I pick-up my telephone I get no modem connection sound.  But what is even more interesting is that when I disconnect my phone line from computer I get the same printout as above!  Maybe my modem is not working?

What do you mean "the same problem"?

Spidey