Date:      Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:17:54 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Dirk GOUDERS <gouders@et.bocholt.fh-ge.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Finding an illegal instruction in gnucash/guile

On Sat, 2005-Aug-06 14:21:40 +0200, Dirk GOUDERS wrote:

> > gdb claims the problem is in libguile.  I've tried rebuilding it with
> > different CPU and optimisation options (in case I've triggered a gcc
> > bug) but the SIGILL remains.
> >
> > I've had a look through google and not found anything relevant.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions other than rebuilding the ports from
> > scratch with different CPUTYPE and/or CFLAGS?  (I'm currently using
> > CPUTYPE=athlon-xp and CFLAGS=-O -g).
>
>I had a similar (if not the same) problem on a 4.11-STABLE machine.
>Actually, I am running gnucash on two different 4.11-STABLE machines
>-- on one, it worked, on the other, where I installed it some days ago
>it didn't.
>
>Then, I cvsup'ed both machines and the first port I installed on both
>was gnucash (the only difference betweeen the two machines was the
>order the ports were installed) and now, it works on both machines.

Tried that with no effect.

I've added some debugging lines to the kernel and found that the
SIGILL is triggered in sendsig() when the copyout of a sigframe to the
user stack fails.  Poking further, it appears that one of the threads
is blowing its stack.  Manually unwinding the stack suggests that gdb
was right and there's very heavy recursion in scm_deval().  Since the
thread stack sizes were increased about 6 months ago (at least in
-current), this suggests something wrong in one of the ports.

--
Peter Jeremy