Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:12:32 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
Cc:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting nat to refresh its rules

jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz said:
> I tend to use a `kill -9 natd-pid && /sbin/natd -f ....'. I find that
> if you don't use a `kill -9', natd hangs around just long enough to
> not come up right-away. You may lose a few packets, though..

That would be because it deliberately does a slow shutdown:

	/*
	 * Start timer to allow kernel gracefully
	 * shutdown existing connections when system
	 * is shut down.
	 */

I guess that it wouldn't be too hard to add another signal handler so
that would effectively be like sending sendmail a SIGHUP, where it
effectively invokes itself again...

I know I find it annoying typing:

	# kill natd-pid
	# /sbin/natd -f ...
	natd: Unable to bind divert socket.: Address already in use
	# /sbin/natd -f ...
	natd: Unable to bind divert socket.: Address already in use
	# /sbin/natd -f ...
	natd: Unable to bind divert socket.: Address already in use
	# /sbin/natd -f ...
	natd: Unable to bind divert socket.: Address already in use
	# /sbin/natd -f ...
	natd: Unable to bind divert socket.: Address already in use
	# /sbin/natd -f ...
	natd: Unable to bind divert socket.: Address already in use
	# /sbin/natd -f ...
	natd: Unable to bind divert socket.: Address already in use
	# /sbin/natd -f ...
	natd: Unable to bind divert socket.: Address already in use
	# /sbin/natd -f ...
	natd: Unable to bind divert socket.: Address already in use
	# /sbin/natd -f ...
	#

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319