Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 1998 19:38:19 -0500
From:      "Jason J. Horton" <jason@intercom.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.8-RELEASE and SCSI problem

Hello all,

    I have been configuring a 2.2.8-RELEASE machine to take the place
of my NetBSD 1.3.2 NFS server. The NetBSD machine has an Adaptec
2940-UW controller connected to a disk silo with an Adaptec AEC-4412BS
SCSI to SCSI RAID canister with 8 9 gig drives attached, configured as
RAID5 with hot spare. To the 2940-UW, the "drive" looks like one large
53 gig disk.

    NetBSD has not been as stable as we had hoped, and I wanted to put
the FreeBSD machine in its place. When I try to mount the array like so:

mount /dev/sd0a /mntwhatever
I get this error:
sd0: Can't deal with 201 bytes logical blocks
and obviously the mount doesn't happen.

My questions:
1) why is this happening?
2) what are my options (can we tweak some code to get this functional,
NetBSD can handle it, why can't we? Am I going to have to backup
my array and format it? Can FreeBSD even handle SCSI drives this large?)

3) Are NetBSD filesystems compatible with FreeBSD(all sources report
that it is)???

    Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not remember if I
am subscribed to this list, so please CC: all responses to
jason@intercom.com

        -J