Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:03:48 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comment about verbose booting

At 10:07 AM +0200 10/1/98, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Tony Kimball writes:
>>Quoth Poul-Henning Kamp, Wed, 30 Sep 1998 21:24:43 +0200
>>:   ...there is no need to stuff potentially unlimited number of
>>:   ascii-strings into the kernel, in particular considering that
>>:   it doesn't use them after having printed one of them at boot.
>>
>> Now if it properly GC'd...
>
> You can't, once cardbus is here I might plug a videocard into my
> machine long time after boot.

In which case, you won't have any need for verbose *-> BOOTING <-*
messages about that video card...                      _______

Presumably you wouldn't put all ascii-strings in this section,
just the messages which would be used by verbose booting and
would not be needed for anything after that...

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute