Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:15:30 -0700
From:      "Bryce Alexander" <bryce@xanthworld.com>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Gateway Laptop won't recognize wi0: or an0: Wifi Cards

There may be a couple of problems causing a conflict.

I just loaded FreeBSD 4.10 on this laptop, this is the first time I have
been able to get any version to install because previous versions would
get a kernel panic when the distribution disk was booting.

Now instead of a panic I get:

Umass0: BBB Reset Failed, stalled (message repeats five times), then
just after that I get

Pccard: card inserted, slot 0

And it begins mounting ufs.

When I do an ifconfig -a the Pccard WiFi is not listed. I have tried a
Netgear MA401, Cisco Aironet 350, and an Orinoco Gold, all with the same
results.

I suspect that the Umass0: is enabled due to a multi memory card reader
built into the laptop, and that the reader was the cause of previous
kernel panics with earlier versions.

So is the memory card reader not responding as expected stomping on
something that is needed for the pccard or am I just missing something
basic and getting myself confused? Clearly I would like to get both
working correctly, but I would be happy getting a WiFi card to work.