Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:11:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.org, jbw <qfreaki@home.com>
Subject:   Re: New kernel freezes on startup: Dell Latitude CPxJ

On 15-Oct-00 Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20001015104246.A1282@home.com> jbw writes:
>: A new kernel I built for my laptop a Dell Latitude CPxJ just freezes on
>: reboot
>: and won't go any further.  The message it stops at is the following
>:
>: ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0.
>:
>: After that it just hangs there until I power off.  I then reboot and use
>: the GENERIC kernel which works fine.
>:
>: Any ideas?
>
> Back off to Oct 9, 2000 kernel or so.  The CW of the terminal room is
> that something broke after that.  We'e seen lots of hangs when people
> insert a plain old ed on oct 11-14 kernels and none on oct 9th.
> Although Brian Sommers swears that his oct 11 kernel works.  Lots of
> nasty interrupt changes have happened lately (spl -> mutex) so caution
> is advised.

Heh.  Actually, try disabling the sio device.  My Inspiron is booting
fine here:

FreeBSD laptop.baldwin.cx 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #76: Wed Oct 11
18:51:28 PDT 2000     john@laptop.baldwin.cx:/usr/src/sys/compile/LAPTOP  i386

However, I have a quad xeon here in the office that hangs while probing
a sio device via the PnPBIOS probes  (it hangs during sioprobe()).