Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 22:25:23 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD PostgreSQL7 port and v7.0.2

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>; <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 10:02 PM
Subject: FreeBSD PostgreSQL7 port and v7.0.2

> Hi:
> I am running FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE (i386).  I want to install PostgreSQL v7.0.2
> but the port maintainer is unable to update it (he writes: "I'm busy until
> 2000/06/27 because of CCIE certification.")
>
> The changes to the port from v7.0.0 to 7.0.2 would appear to be trivial but,
> having never done this before, I just wanted to check.
>
> 1. I changes all references of 7.0.0 to 7.0.2
> 2. I changed the MD5 file to reflect the MD5 checksums for 7.0.2

To change the MD5, use "make makesum".

> Is there anything else that I need to do or be aware of before making the
> port?  (Frankly, I would be surprised if there is any need to change the
> v7.0.0 patches to make v7.0.2 work under FreeBSD.)

A couple of thing:

1. Make a back up copy of the original port first, then after you have tested your changed port create a diff between the original
and the changed port and submit the changes to the maintainer for approval.
2. Don't try to do a "make build" first.  Instead do a "make patch -DPATCH_DEBUG". Just incase one of the patches fails, you'll at
least know which patch failed.
3. If a patch fails, try to merge the patch manually into the sources, then create a new patch file for the failed patch.

> NOTE: I don't blame the port maintainer for not having the time to do the
> update.  While the changes appear simple, I'm sure that the requiste testing
> requires a block of time that he doesn't have at this time.  I just can't
> wait for three weeks or more to install PostgreSQL7, and I would like the
> latest version.

Scot