Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 22:28:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing disk cache

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> I have a somewhat large postgres database on a server (currently about
> 6gig). The data is only written to once a day, and otherwise is just read
> the rest of the day. The machine has after running for a while shows
> Mem: 23M Active, 99M Inact, 16M Wired, 8664K Cache, 8344K Buf, 40M Free
>
> Would it make sense to tune my kernel so that the disk cache is larger ?
> If so, where would I tune this.

We just 'tuned' postgres over here, what you might want to try is
increasing the amount of shared memory in your kernel and tell
postgresql to use it.

options         SHMMAXPGS=262144
options         SHMSEG=32

this is for over 256MB of shared memory, you'll want a smaller
value.

try starting postmaster with higher and higher values for "-B N"
we use  -B 32768, but again, you'll probably want something smaller.

-Alfred