Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 23:21:28 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A first encounter with 'vi'

Kevin G. Eliuk wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
>
> =>
> => Oh my lord... save me from vi...  ;-)
> =>
> => Today, I was unfortunate enough to encounter it for the first time when
> => trying to change my shell from sh back to csh (don't ask).  That has to be
> => the editor from hell (forgive me if I'm insulting any old-school *nix'ers
> => here, but this IS a forum for newbies).  I thought I was in hell when I was
> => in that editor (obviously one of the original Unix editors back when
> => mainframes and dumb terminals were all the rage).  I hope I don't commit
> => too many sins in my life and when I die be damned to an eternity of typing
> => full-length articles using vi <shudder>.  The damn thing even had the nerve
> => to send me mail stating that I used it incorrectly afterward.  An editor
> => that Emails you and tells you about your mistakes and how to recover from
> => them?  Only in Unix...  ;-)
>
> If you ar interested there is a port of a small tutorial that comes
> packed with Nvi, and if I am not mistaken, it is now seperate in a port.
> After doing it and trying some trials on global substitutions and the
> like I think that you'll appreciate the power and simplicity that is not
> available in all editors.
>
> Actually, the learning of vi(and ed) has its benefits.
>
> No different than having knowledge of `edlin' in dos.  You'll never be
> denied an editor under most circumstances when wanting to work in the
> field on anothers machine.
>
> => I truly am glad I don't *only* use FreeBSD (grin).  Sometimes the ease of
> => use of Win95/NT can be such sweet relief to us *nix newbies...

In fact, I tryed today chsh and it was vi who was the editor.
But after some reading, I've understanding basic tools after some
!"/$/!"$/"!"!!/"/"!$/$"±@£¢@±£@±±£±@£± times...:
"Esc"=command prompt (the MOST important thing to understand)
All command below work after pressing "Esc" button
"a"=add after the current caracter
"i"=insertion before the current caracter
"x"=delete the current caracter
"X"=delete the caracter after the cursor
":wq"=save and exit
":q!"=exit
":w"=save
You have to do "Esc" after you finished writing and then you can start
moving around.

Malartre