Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:46:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jim Bloom <bloom@acm.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic from Yesterday's CVSup

On 06-Feb-01 Jim Bloom wrote:
> I have seen both a trap 12 and a trap 9 from a Friday Feb. 2 kernel.  This is
> occuring on my laptop (AST Ascentia 810N) which I can't seem to get to create
> core dump.  Here is a hand transcription of what I see.
>
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> pccard: card inserted, slot 0
> pccard: card inserted, slot 1
> kernel trap 9 with interrupts disabled
>
> Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
> instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xc0270ad8
> stack pointer         = 0x10:0xc2fb4f50
> frame pointer         = 0x10:0xc2fb4f64
> code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags      = resume, IOPL = 0
> current process       = 16 (irq14:ata0)
> kernel: type 9 trap, code=0
> Stopped at      sw1b+0x77:  ltr   %si
>
> backtrace
> sw1b(4000) at sw1b+0x77               (note this is actually swtch())

Actually, this is beyond the end of cpu_switch I think.  You are effectively
off in lala land.

> ithd_loop(0,c2fb4fa8) at ithd_loop+0xf7

This is either in the mtx_enter of Giant or in the interrupt handler itself.
I'm betting an interrupt handler isn't being setup properly one way or another,
and that the code is jumping through a bogus pointer and ending up in lala land
executing random code.

> fork_exit(c0275bd0,0,c2fb4fa8_ at fork_exit+0x2d
> fork_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0x8
>
> I don't have WITNESS or INVARIANTS at this time and don;t have a serial
> console
> so I can't capture the output.

These help to capture bugs by doing extra checks though, and especially with
current they are highly, highly, highly recommended right now.