Date:      Sun, 08 Oct 2000 13:01:26 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: obtaining partition information??

At 5:45 PM -0500 10/07/00, Mike Meyer wrote:

>> FDISK under DOS shows the total FreeBSD partition (but it can't show the
>> slices for /, /usr, /swap), but the FreeBSD utility under
>> stand/sysinstall  only shows the Primary DOS partition.
>
>Who said anything about /stand/sysinstall?

I did.  It was in my original post :)

>Try the /sbin/fdisk - it
>prints out the same partition table that DOS does. If it doesn't,
>something is seriously screwed up.

Thanx :)  I didn't know about that.  Anyway, after discovering the
debugging options in the installer and making them verbose, I have
confirmed that is related to the removal of bad144 in 4.1.  Therefore, the
fdisk in 4.1 won't work with my 3.4 slices.

>Well, if you're using the one in /stand/sysinstall, and that doesn't
>see the freebsd partition, then it isn't going to work. Try the one in
>/sbin.

Since the one in stand/sysinstall doesn't work, I can't use the upgrade
feature in stand/sysinstall.

>> I'm led to believe the 4.1 installer does not work with the 3.4
>> partitioning.  This leads me to ask another question, if I upgrade to 4.1
>> from source (without using stand/sysinstall) will the 4.1 filesystem work
>> on  my disk??
>
>It ought to. I went from 3.4 to -current that way.

Hmmm . . I think I need to find out exactly when bad144 was removed, and
not upgrade past that point.  Unfortunately, my hard drive has bad blocks
according to FreeBSD (they were undetectable using DOS), so until I buy a
new hard drive, I think I need to keep bad144.