Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 1996 18:38:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sat, 28 Sep 1996 wb2oyc@cyberenet.net wrote:

> I've been running Linux for about two years, and
> recently decided to give FreeBSD a try.  So far,
> the experience has been under-whelming!  Several
> questions have resulted from my failed attempts to
> get a working installation; at least one that is
> successful in installing the app's I've requested
> thru sysinstall.

That's sad to hear.

> The initial install (CD) failed
> with the proc filesystem getting filled, and then
> the remaining app's selected failed to install.

I honestly don't know what's going on there.  :-/

> However, they remain "installed" as far as pkg_add
> is concerned, so now that I have a working system I
> still can't go back and install them.  How do I get
> out of this catch-22?

use 'pkg_delete' to delete them.  If that won't remove them because it
can't find all the files or the packing list is bad, try running it with
the -f option.  Or if you get really annoyed, you can remove the entry
from /var/db/pkg directly -- but the binary & support files will be left.

> Plus, can someone explain why
> nearly half of the packages in /All are not really
> there?  Is this a problem for me because my CD is an
> ATAPI?  Whether I try it thru sysinstall or pkg_add
> about half of them fail!

In what way?  ALL the packages should be in /packages/ALL, and they are
symlink'd to the various directories.

> Another annoying problem
> for me is how do I get bash as  my login shell?  I've
> put /usr/local/bin/bash as my shell in /etc/passwd,
> but it still doesn't come up that way when I login!

Make sure /usr/local/bin/bash is in /etc/shells.