Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:17:41 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using VGA Output on a Dell XPi

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 10:52:09PM +0100, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:28:33 -0800
> > From: "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
> >
> > I'm using an old Dell XPi notebook PC. It is nice to be able to hook
> > it up to a "real" monitor and keyboard. It has an "CRT/LCD" toggle
> > control that works perfectly when I'm just using syscons terminals. It
> > has three modes, LCD, CRT, and both at once. If it detects the VGA
> > plug is being used, it automatically goes to CRT only.
> >
> > The problem is how to set this up right with X. Right now, if I am
> > using the CRT and type 'startx,' the CRT loses its signal and a
> > pattern of black and white horizontal lines show up on the LCD. If I
> > Ctl-Alt-F1 back to the terminal, all is fine. On the other hand, if I
>
> THANKS YOU VERY  VERY VERY MUCH !  I've been  tidling XF86config for 8
> years now on my DELL Latitude  XPi 90ST to find the right setting that
> would  synchronize  correctly  with   the  LCD  and  avoid  that  ugly
> stuff. The  only way I found  up to now  was to avoid white  and other
> very bright colors, and of course,  no gray pattern.

I'm not sure I understand, but glad to be of help? X has always worked
fine on my LCD. In more detail, what happens is that I sit at the CRT,
type 'startx,' the CRT loses signal, and the funky pattern shows up on
the LCD. Now, I hit Ctl-Alt-F1 on a keyboard (both the built-in and
one plugged into the PS/2 port work) and the console window that I had
typed 'startx' in appears again on the CRT and the LCD powers back
off. At this point I typically '^C' to kill X.

As for toggling around by starting X in the LCD first, the problem is
that whenever X resets the screen, it goes back to the LCD. So, if I
go to LCD, 'startx', toggle to CRT, and then try to run something like
xvidtune(1), when I go to apply changes X resets the screen and we go
back to LCD, where the changes I made don't make sense.

Oh, and here is another odd thing. The screen size is different when
the LCD and CRT are on at the same time. That is, when either is on by
itself, I can see the whole desktop on the LCD or CRT. But when both
are on at once, I get a horizontal zoom and part of the right side of
the desktop is clipped off on both (in the same place).

I guess this is going to be a _lot_ of trial and error, or I may find
someone who has already figured this out? Please? Pretty please with
sugar on it?