Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:44:26 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfsv4 FreeBSD server vs. Linux client I/O error

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:17:55 -0500 (EST) Rick Macklem
<rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> wrote about Re: nfsv4 FreeBSD server vs. Linux
client I/O error:

RM> One more thing that came to mind. If your root fs in NFS mounted, it
RM> can't be exported, so you have to use the version (assuming /exports
RM> is a local on-disk file system that is exported):
RM> V4: /export
RM> and not
RM> V4: /

I guess this does not apply do my situation, both client and server have
their root fs on hard disks.

RM> and then the mount needs to look like:
RM>  	mount -t nfs4 <server>:/export /mnt

I tried that, just to make sure:

pt-ws1 ~ # time mount -t nfs4 cliff:/tank /mnt
mount.nfs4: mounting cliff:/tank failed, reason given by server:
  No such file or directory

real    1m0.006s
user    0m0.002s
sys     0m0.002s

I guess this is consistent, although I do not know why I see 30s timeout
interval twice here.

RM> I tried a relatively recent Ubuntu client here and it seemed to mount
RM> ok. (There are many variants of the mount utilities and patch versions
RM> of the nfs4 client for Linux, so your mileage definitely may vary.)

I'm using Sabayon 3.5 with kernel 2.6.25 here. I guess I could try and
update to the new Sabayon 5 for testing (if that might help). The installed
nfs packages are:

net-libs/libnfsidmap-0.20
net-fs/nfs4-acl-tools-0.3.2
net-fs/nfs-utils-1.1.2

RM> I'll be happy to look at a tcpdump capture, if you get one, rick

You should have received it by now. I'm looking forward to your answer.
Thanks again.

cu
  Gerrit