Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 06:13:51 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows X

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 10:00 pm, Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:13:03 -0700 (PDT)
>
> "Joshua Lewis" <jmlewis@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> > DESKTOP:
> > If you are planning on this being a desktop replacement then I can
> > fully understand wanting to have a cool desktop. KDE is very popular
> > as well as GNOME. You can see screenshots on their respective
> > websites.
> >
> > KDE has a cool feature that if set up allows you to pick your window
> > manager on login (mind you this causes KDE and X windows to be
> > running at all times). This would require reading chapter 5 in the
> > FreeBSD Handbook. This is arguably you greatest source of FreeBSD
> > information. It is a short chapter to read but does explain quite a
> > lot. I myself had to read the chapter more then once before I fully
> > understood it. Now I feel very comfortable using X. No expert but I
> > feel very comfortable.
>
> I suggest something lighter, but easily configurable. Try XFCE,
> Fluxbox, Windowmaker, or the like. There are many window managers
> avialable. To find the list just go to
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/x11-wm.html
> and start browsing. :)

I just installed the newest XFce today, and wow, it's nice. Very fast. I don't
want to give up KMail, but like a lot of other KDE apps, it runs other KDE
processes that tend to bog it down in any wm. But it's very quick on XFce,
faster even than on IceWM, at least on my machine. It wouldn't matter so much
to me, but KMail is by far my favorite GUI email client. If I were a better
programmer I'd backwards engineer it without all the hooks into KDE stuff,
but maybe later ... Mozilla starts in less than two seconds without being
preloaded. Amazing. Who said Mozilla is slow starting? Not me anymore.

I'm glad you posted this, because it reminded me to give XFce a test. IceWM
doesn't seem to perform nearly as quickly for me (which is odd), but maybe I
don't have it configured correctly. I think I like XFce better anyway ;)

- jt