Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 21:20:26 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Max A Krinberg <maxk@nb.net>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: midi does not play (fwd)

Max A Krinberg:
 |Hello, I am asking for help with playing midi files.
 |I could get .wav files to play no problem.
 |issuing comand: playmidi -f filename.mid acts like playing, but
 |nothing comes out of speakers.
 |
 |Here is kernel output, I am using AWE SB32. Also I could not get FreeBSD
 |2.2.2 to recognize AWE. added line: "device awe0 at isa? port 0x620"
 |did not work.

Sorry its been a few days getting to your message.

With this output, it appears you might not have the line in your kernel
config file.  The awe driver was in 2.2.2, so you should have at least seen
something like:

      awe0 not found

If the detection failed (common with PnP cards).  You might reverify you
have that line in your kernel config file, run config on it, and try it
again.

Also, I just updated the AWE driver port (and associated utilites) to the
latest version.  It's loads better and easier to use than the one checked
into 2.2.  Here's the URL:

       http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv

MIDIs, MODs, 669s, S3Ms, etc. really sound great with this driver!

Let me know if you have any questions or problems installing it.

Randall

By the way, here's the full set of sound lines I had in my 2.2.1 kernel
config file for the Sound Blaster 32 (non-PnP):

controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
# Yamaha OPL-2/OPL-3 FM - for SB, SB Pro, SB16, PAS
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
device awe0     at isa? port 0x620

If you have a PnP card, see the link on the web page for Conrad's tips on
using Luigi's PnP initialization package.