Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 13:34:15 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1009827256.e31766@mired.org>
To:        ulf@Alameda.net
Cc:        Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: experiences (Re: FreeBSD Foundation Accepts Donations via PayPal)

Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net> types:
> I have been lately hearing more and more horror stories about PayPal.
> For one, they are not FDIC insurred, so they can basicly do with your
> money what they want and get away with it. There are a few websites
> about their bad customer service, like Andreas mentioned, no way to
> directly contact them (neither email or phone), answers are often just
> form letters.

I can third that. They are *not* a bank, and don't act like one.

They double billed me for an item, running the transaction twice. When
I contacted their complaint department, they said "we don't do that",
and suggested I deal with my bank or the party in question. I had my
bank reverse one of the charges, which caused paypal to lock my
account so I couldn't move money out of it - but I could still move
money into it. They then charged the credit card number I had
initially set the account up on to get the money. After several rounds
of this kind of thing, I finally got things straightened out, but they
had taken money away from the customer who *should* have gotten it -
even though I didn't have it either. At times I got email from them
sent within hours of each other making contradictory claims. Last I
heard, the poor guy who had been on the other end of the double
billing hadn't gotten his money back, but he hasn't complained to me
in the months since, so I assume they finally straightened that out as
well.

As far as I can tell, the goal of their "customer service" department
is to lock money into their system for as long as possible. That
there's no direct contact - even finding a snail-mail address is a
pain - means you have to use their complaint form, with a day or
more's delay for responses being typical. All the while they are
making interest on your money.

	<mike