Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 12:51:52 +0000
From:      nik@blueberry.co.uk (Nik Clayton)
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tutorials for docbook/instant et al?

Hi,

I'm just getting started with the Docbook DTD and the various related
tools (instant, et al) for manipulating them.

Can anyone recommend any good tutorials for getting the most out of Docbook,
style guides, or examples of well written (and short (!)) documents that
use Docbook?

The mailing lists include this message:

> Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 1996 11:41:14 -0500 (EST)
> From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
> To:        Hiroyuki Hanai <hanai@hanaigw.astec.co.jp>
> Sender:    owner-doc@freebsd.org
> Subject:   Re: New conversion scheme in place.
>
> On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Hiroyuki Hanai wrote:
>
> > One or two weeks before, I found the 'tutorial' on the FreeBSD Web and
> > I searched the source tree to find the source(SGML) files of 'tutorial'
> > but I could not.
> > Are they available?
>
> Yes, from the web server.  For each
> http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/foo/foo.html, there is an
> http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/foo/foo.sgml.

but they don't seem to be there -- there's no

    http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/fonts/fonts.sgml

for

    http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/fonts/fonts.html

for example (also tested 'multios' and 'ppp').

I've got a lot of internal documentation (how to setup Kernel PPP, how to
run CAP, adding a user, using the Amanda backup system with FreeBSD and so
on) which I'd like to re-mark up in Docbook (so it's more portable) and
then donate to the project. But I really need a 'Users guide to Docbook'
so I can get up to speed with it fairly quickly. I've hunted through
the Davenport group stuff, but there doesn't seem to be a step-by-step
tutorial anywhere.

Cheers,

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                  Blueberry New Media                ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/     1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk       London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[ .out => Compiled program; .obj => Object code; .c => Documentation ]ENTP