Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2012 10:50:11 GMT
From:      Dmitrij Tejblum <tejblum@yandex-team.ru>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/161899: [route] ntpd(8): Repeating RTM_MISS packets	causing high CPU load for ntpd

The following reply was made to PR kern/161899; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dmitrij Tejblum <tejblum@yandex-team.ru>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: kern/161899: [route] ntpd(8): Repeating RTM_MISS packets	causing
 high CPU load for ntpd
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:30:51 +0400

 I would suggest to remove RTM_MISS messages at all. I believe that there
 is no sofware that actually use it. OTOH, in some cases RTM_MISS
 messages are really disturbing.

 E.g., a router without default route (e.g. runnung BGP) will always
 generate some amount of RTM_MISS messages. They have no use, but require
 daemons to parse them, and could result in overflow on routing socket
 queue and, in turn, cause some important routing messages to be dropped.

 I have a patch that add a sysctl to turn off RTM_MISS messages, but
 since no one use them, it would be easier to just remove them entirely.

 --
 Dmitry