Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 15:35:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dump for MS-DOS partitions.

> > Some weirdness I found along the way included strange directory entries
> > created by Windows NT (and I suspect 95 will do the same) which have the
> > read only, hidden, system and volume flags set (i.e value of 0x0f).
>
> W95 doesn't have that "feature". As NT 3 & 4 don't support VFAT, they have
> implemented long name support by allocating "hidden" directory entries for
> the long names, each of the entry can have a max of 12 characters.
>
> To prevent DOS to show these entries (when sharing a drive), they put the 4
> attributes (in a normal DOS, this is not supposed to happen).
>
> It is one hell of a hack IMO (I was really surprised to see they have
> implemented it like that...).
>
> VFAT uses a hidden table for the long names so it doesn't have this
> problem.
>
> Terry will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong :-)

WindowsNT 3.5.1 implements long file names using directory entries
with all bits lit, when running on a FAT FS instead of an NTFS.

This is *exactly* the same thing that Windows95 does in order to support
long names in so-called "VFAT".

NT 4.x does this as well.  The NT 3.5 file manager was a bit brain-dead
about this... we had a number of product that faile Alpha and had to
be fixed before ship because of this behaviour.

The "hell of a hack" exists in all Windows 95/NT systems...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---