Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 17:24:07 +0100
From:      Florian Bofinger <bofax@camelot.de>
To:        goodleaf <john@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd on non-Intel CPU

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 08:03:04AM -0800, goodleaf wrote:
> Pardon me if this is a terribly newbie question.
>
> I'm looking at buying some Athlon components for a dual-boot
> workstation. How stable is FreeBSD on Athlon hardware, the FIC or ASUS
> boards + an Athlon 700 in particular. Is there a way to recompile to take
> maximal advantage of the Athlon's improvements? (Still in the
> works?) Anyone have experience with this?

Lately I installed a system with following config:

AMD Athlon 600MhZ, ASUS K7M Motherboard 4xUSB AC97 Sound, 384MB SDRam,
2x IBM DPTA-353750 (Ultra DMA/66) 37.5 GB, Matrox Millennium G200 SD 16MB,
Toshiba SD-W1111 DVD-Ram, Yamaha 6416S CD-RW SCSI-II, Iomega ZIP250 SCSI,
Floppy 3,5, Microsoft IntelliMouse, Cherry Keyboard

I did a make world (-current as of 20000215 or so) which took about a hour.
I built the kernel with -mpentiumpro -march=pentiumpro (I'm not sure about
it...) and everything works just fine.

Greetings,
		BoFax

--