Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:35:03 -0700
From:      "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To:        "'Lowell Gilbert'" <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Linux emulation: acd0a is not a cooked ioctl CDROM

Lowell wrote:

> > > That doesn't look quite right; CDROM devices are usually
> > > accessed as /dev/acd0c in FreeBSD.
>
> Only if they're ATAPI drives.  Which this poster said he had.
>  He also said he was using cdparanoia, which is, as the error
> message said, specific to SCSI drives.  [On Linux, ATAPI
> drives are supported by making them look like SCSI drives, so
> it sort of works with cdparanoia, but on FreeBSD ATAPI drives
> are supported directly.]

Do you believe that the ATAPI/CAM patches at
http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/ might make cdparanoia
compatible with an ATAPI drive on FreeBSD? I guess that would mean the
patches would have to provide the "cooked ioctl" that cdparanoia wants.

I would be willing to install -CURRENT if that will make cdparanoia
work.

Thanks in advance,
--Lucky Green