Date:      Sat, 17 May 1997 12:20:39 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: URGENT:  Printing an X11 screen.  How?

On Fri, May 16, 1997 at 09:19:45PM +0200, J Wunsch wrote:
>As David Dawes wrote:
>
>(Xprt)
>> >...i never figured out how to use it.
>>
>> It is an X server, so you have to start it as a display which doesn't
>> clash with other servers you have running.  Try 'Xprt :1'.
>
>Hmm, do you perchance know how to `redirect' something to it (short of
>starting an entire client on this display)?

Like I said, I have no idea how to actually make use of it without
suitable Xp-aware clients.  These clients contact the Xprt server directly
when the user wants to print something.

There are some details about all this in the file
xc/programs/Xserver/XpConfig/README, which is part of the X11R6.3 source.

Here's the Overview section from that file:

  1.0  X Print Service Overview
  =============================

  The "X Print Service" technology allows X rendering to devices such as
  printers and fax.  Most of the service is available in the X11
  technology stack as Xp, with the remainder in the CDE technology stack
  as DtPrint.  Modifications have also been made to the Motif technology
  stack to support Xp and DtPrint.

  The Xp portion consists of:
     * Xp Extension for the X-Server (included in the X-Server Xprt)
     * Xp Extension API for the client side (libXp)
     * PCL ddx driver that converts core X to native PCL
     * Postscript ddx driver that converts core X to native Postscript
     * Raster ddx driver that generates xwd rasters which can be
       converted to PCL or Postscript rasters

  The DtPrint portion consists of:
     * A collection of print GUIs (libDtPrint)
     * A Print Dialog Manager that can assist a client in
       setting printing options (dtpdm, dtpdmd)

  From an X clients perspective, it can attach to one of two nearly
  identical X-Servers, a "Video" X-Server, and a "Print" X-Server
  which has the additional Xp capability but otherwise looks and
  behaves the same.

As you can see, the clients to actually make this useful are only
available with CDE.  To make it more generally useful, someone would
need to write some new clients.

David