Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 13:40:22 +1000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Repeated mail

Hi y'all,

I've not read this whole string, but... ;')

I've seen this sort of thing using fetchmail with a locally written mda
(mail delivery agent), whereby fetchmail would connect correctly to the
POP3 mailbox, start sucking them down & pass the data-stream to the mda
(which inserts the messages into a db/2 database).

Occasionally, the mda would fail, passing an 'error' status to
fetchmail. Now, at this stage, fetchmail has not sent back a "mark
message(s) read" status to the POP3 mailbox, so the process terminates ,
and the messages stay on the mailbox with an "unread" status on them.

We worked around this by modifying fetchmail - gotta love that
open-source stuff ;')

hth,

haxxa