Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2012 13:33:47 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@shadowsun.net>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GSoC: EFI on intel

--------------enigD7372AA69EB025FDEEDF8B30

--------------060308050004040005090806

On 04/03/12 13:22, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> EFI is a good task.  For generic PC's we need an X64 format.  The curre=
nt
> version in FreeBSD is IA32 format.  The X64 can boot i386/amd64.
> Qemu can be used to test both IA32 and X64 formats.  I added some
> notes about this on the wiki at:
> 	http://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#EFI_support_for_FreeBSD.2BAC8-i386_a=
nd_FreeBSD.2BAC8-amd64_.28GSoC.29

> Qemu is nice since it can runs an UEFI BIOS via the OVMF project
> and emulate a DOS file system by pointing qemu to a directory. So
> then it is easy to build something, toss it into a directory, start
> qemu and test.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug A.

I'm drafting an application right now.  I emailed the listed contacts
(Rui Paulo and Andrey Elsukov) a moment ago.

I've done background research on this already, as part of getting
FreeBSD to work on Mac hardware.  QEMU caught my attention as a
testbed.  Also, I found out Apple EFI implementations are non-standard.=20
They specifically look for an HFS+ partition and load a specific file.=20
The workaround is pretty simple, of course: just wrap the boot loader in
an HFS+ image and write it to a partition reserved for that purpose.

Anyway, if I'm going to propose this, I need to list possible mentors.=20
Skill-wise, I'm well equipped to take it on.  I anticipate needing
someone who's a committer, preferably with good knowledge of the kernel
sources.

--=20
Eric McCorkle
Computer Science Ph.D Student