Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:35:39 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel build problem after make world

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 03:43 am, fjaspers@xs4all.nl wrote:
> HI,
>
> Sorry my information was somewhat obscure, you're answer however
> wasn't. The 4BSD_SCHED option did the trick.

I was kind of stretching on that one. It was the only sched option you
were missing that I had and it stood out.

> The real problem was mee being impatient trying to build a 5.2 KERNEL
> with a 5.0 config file.
> I made a new config file patiently copying lines in from NOTES and
> GENERIC. Now the world smiles again. :)
>
> Thnx for your help.

Great!!

I think it is important to cp GENERIC to your kernel config for each
major update. Then, start adding "#" in column 1 to comment out
features. It may seem like work but it saves more time trying to figure
out why something is broken.

My systems are pretty simple when it comes to the configuration and I
can take a GENERIC and convert it into a new config file in probably
less than 5-10 minutes. If you keep a copy of the old one around, you
can run diff on your old and new config and see what is different.

When you start with a copy of GENERIC and delete features, your kernel
config file is much more self documenting. Saving a few 100 bytes is
not as important as keeping the structure of your config file so that
people can key in very quickly on what you changed. This is especially
true when you want free support :).

I am retired but got talked into helping resurect an old project for a
couple of weeks for an old friend. That dropped 8 hours a day from the
time I had available to figure out FreeBSD errors. I simply didn't have
the time to take a 5.2 GENERIC and see what you had chosen to use.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA