Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:02:11 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com (Brian N. Handy)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape 4.02b7

Brian N. Handy stands accused of saying:
> >On Mon, Aug 04, 1997 at 09:57:44AM +0930, Michael Smith wrote:
> >> Now, what I want to hear is right answer to "does it support plugins"?
> >
> >Yes.
>
> SoooOOOooOOooo...seems if this is true (and at the time of my reading,
> we've got two votes Aye and one vote nay :-), it seems like the acroread
> port should be adjusted to make use of this capability...

ACROBAT READER IS NOT A PLUGIN!

ARGH!

Acrobat is a _helper_application_.  It has always been usable for reading
pdf files out of Netscape; in fact, I have been doing that ever since
Acrobat became available.

Plugins are shared libraries that Netscape links with itself in order to
extend its functionality.  Happily enough, it looks like the API is
becoming standardised (eg. Amaya).