Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 22:24:44 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>, Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vat on sb16?

(...catching up on this thread:)

Agree that SB cards aren't good for audio conferencing, but if you're not
into that in a big way, a soundcard buyer is hard pressed to find a class
of cards with better all-around support in most OSs.  With a SB32/AWE32
getting you SB16's 16-bit 44Khz Stereo play/record + 32 chan wavetable
synth for under $100 at a computer show, they're worth it.

To the sounds bad comment, some do, some don't.  Like all products with
multiple models, you research them all and then pick-n-choose.  It's well
known that the original SB16 chipset has DSP noise problems.  However its
also well known that the Vibra16 replacement for this chipset has no such
problems.  The latter's what's on my SB32 non-PnP, and I have no complaints
about its play or record quality up to and including 44KHz 16-bit Stereo.

Regarding the SB16 full-duplex issue, (yes I'm an e-mail pack-rat :-),
attached is a thread bite from Dec 1995 where Hannu mentioned it can be
done with 8-bit one direction and 16-bit in the other, or with DMA one way
and programmed I/O in the other.  He might not have known what he was
talking about--I don't know him personally.  But if he did, the Windoze
drivers could be using one of these two techniques.

Would one or the other of these two be practical to implement in our sound
drivers?  The latter sounds like it might be completely transparent to the
client.

Randall

Amancio Hasty:
 |Charles Henrich:
 | |Amancio Hasty:
 | |
 | |> You really don't want a SB thingie for audio conferencing.
 | |> The SB thingies have two main problems lack of full duplex dma and
 | |> a decent clock.
 | |